Royal Brewery New Orleans

Beer sampling

Beams & Brews Goes to Gretna!

Thursday, May 30
5:30 to 6:30 @ 610 Sixth St.

Visit the ornate Spanish Colonial Revival-style St. Joseph Church, built. C. 1926, which is being carefully restored by the Archdiocese of Louisiana with architect Robert J. Cangelosi, Jr. of Koch and Wilson.

6:30 to 7:30 @ 217 Lavoisier St.

Walk down the street to learn how James Rolf, aka DJ Preservation, of Rolf Preservation Works, LLC is renovating a c. 1884 Italianate double shotgun using historic tax credits. This event is a great opportunity to see two drastically different uses of the Louisiana State Historic Tax Credit and to gain useful information on how to utilize this state incentive program to maximize your own renovation of an investment property.

Beer by Royal Brewery and craft cocktail by Twelve Mile Limit will be provided at both locations.

$10 / free for members.
Become a Preservation Resource Center member today!

View this post on Instagram

Historic preservation projects are happening all across the city. Take a closer look at some of the projects happening in the New Orleans area, including the restoration of the St. Joseph Church in Gretna, from the April issue of Preservation in Print: —⁣ “This location has been home to St. Joseph Catholic Church since 1858. The current Spanish Colonial Revival structure is the third St. Joseph Church on this site. It was designed by architect William Richard Burk, and construction began in 1926, after the second church was damaged in a 1915 hurricane. The current work involves removing an elastomeric coating that was applied to the church’s exterior in the 1980s. The coating has been trapping moisture and damaging the building. The building will be re-sealed with a breathable coating approved by the National Park Service. The restoration also will repair termite damage and seal the exterior of the adjacent auditorium, which was constructed in 1928 in the same style as the church. Robert J. Cangelosi Jr. is the architect for the project. The contractor for the church is Southeast Waterproofing, and the contractor for the auditorium is CG Favret Co. James Rolf of Rolf Preservation Works is handling the historic tax credits application.”⁣ —⁣ 📲 Follow our profile link to learn more about other projects happening in the city from the April issue of #PreservationinPrint – and don’t miss a tour of St. Joseph Church with the PRC on May 30 at the next event in our Beams & Brews series! — Curious about what’s happening with another project in town? Send us an email or a DM and we’ll consider it for a future issue!⠀

A post shared by Preservation Resource Center (@prcnola) on

 

 

Preservation Resource Center’s Beams & Brews

View this post on Instagram

For decades, the elegant schoolhouse stood vacant on Gravier Street in Mid-City, with boarded windows and a deteriorating brick facade providing a stark contrast to the building’s lively past. Built in 1894 as the McDonogh 30 School, and later used as the WYLD radio station studio, the site had been abandoned for nearly 20 years and had sustained damage from multiple hurricanes. Today, the building’s rehabilitation is underway, and the site will soon have another chance at a sustainable future — this time as an apartment building. • When it was built, the McDonogh 30 School building incorporated an eclectic mix of late Victorian-era architectural styles. The Italianate style is its most prevalent, with arched windows and decorative cast iron window hoods as well as elaborate parapets that once adorned the facade. Other original building features related to different architectural styles were removed over the years: rounded Romanesque-style turrets were originally located at the front corners of the building; an Eastlake-style porch with rich millwork was originally located at the entrance; and a Neoclassical-style frieze with bands of swag applique was originally located beneath the parapets. • The historic features that were lost over the years — the porch, turrets with conical tops and parapets with an ornamental frieze — will all be replicated during the building’s rehabilitation, financed with the help of state and federal historic tax credits. An easement will be donated to the Preservation Resource Center, ensuring the long-term preservation of the building well into the future. • On Thursday, March 14, the PRC will get an insider’s look at the renovation of this neighborhood landmark while enjoying happy hour drinks. We hope you’ll join us to see the transformation! 📲Follow our profile link for tickets and more details.

A post shared by Preservation Resource Center (@prcnola) on

Beams and Brews goes to NOCHI

Join us for a tour of the New Orleans Culinary and Hospitality Institute in its newly completed five-story renovation. Founders George Brower, Ti Martin and Dickie Brennan have invested in New Orleans’ first dedicated culinary school to transform the way food and hospitality industry professionals are trained in the city. NOCHI’s distinctive yellow-brick façade dates to 1916, though the building sat dormant or vacant for much of the past 15 years as the Louisiana ArtWorks. After being restored with State and Federal Rehabilitation Tax Credits, the school recently opened its doors to its first term of students. Jack Sawyer of Eskew+Dumez+Ripple architecture firm will lead a conversation about the project. Beer provided by Royal Brewery. Cocktail provided by Twelve Mile Limit. Bites provided by the NOCHI Culinary team.

Beams and Brews is presented by Inhab, with additional generous support from Witry Collective.

  X

Age Verification

This website requires you to be 21 years or older to enter. Please enter your Date of Birth in the fields below in order to continue: